Breizh Poellrezh SF - Douarañ Santel
Breizh Poellrezh SF - Douarañ Santel

If you immigrating to France with your pet which can be a rat, mouse, rabbit, guinea-pig, hamster…(rodents and lagomorphs) or if you are going to transport your animal through France without returning to the UK.

A word of caution though, some shipping companies have an aversion to rabbits, check with them before making a booking.

You can only take 3 animals to France (all species included) per owner per family, with only one owner being allowed per family. If you are taking more than 3 animals, you need the authorization of the French Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries, Food and Rural Affairs (Animal Welfare Office) (See address below).

Please contact:

Bureau de la protection animale
251 rue Vaugirard - 75732 Paris Cedex 15 France
Tel: 00 33 1 49 55 84 70
Fax: 00 33 1 49 55 81 97


You will need to obtain certificates issued by a Local Veterinary Inspector (a private veterinary surgeon who is allowed to issue certificates for the import/export of pets) to travel with your animal:

I. A certificate of Good Health (In both languages) to testify that your pet has no signs of disease, above all any signs of a contagious disease of the species. For example regarding rabbits: myxomatosis etc. This certificate should be issued between 1 and 5 days before the entry of the animal into France.

II. A certificate from a Local Veterinary Surgeon showing that the pet has stayed in the UK at least 21 days before the departure to France or since its birth.

Regarding the journey, please contact the appropriate transport companies to check if you are allowed to travel with your pet.

You have to check if your animal belongs to an endangered species(See specific requirements)

If you want to return to the UK with your pet after your stay in France:

You must contact the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs or the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development of Northern Ireland for an Import Licence. You can obtain more information on quarantine procedures from:

Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
1A Page Street
London, England SW1 4PQ
Tel: +44 (0) 207 904 6222
Fax: +44 (0) 207 904 6834


You can also contact the embassy of the UK Embassy in France for further information:

Ambassade de Grande-Bretagne
32 bd du Faubourg Saint-Honoré
75 383 Paris Cedex 08
Tel: 00 33 1 44 51 32 56
Fax: 00 33 1 44 51 33 11


Print Print | Sitemap
© Breizh Poellrezh SF 1994 - 2017