Breizh Poellrezh SF - Douarañ Santel
Breizh Poellrezh SF - Douarañ Santel

Dogs are welcome in here but there are strict rules relating to bringing dogs into the country, particularly around proving they are healthy and are transported appropriately. However you can bring only 3 animals to France (all species included) per owner per family with only one owner being allowed per family. If you are taking more than 3 animals, you need the authorization of the French Minister of Agriculture (See address below).

So it is important to check the latest regulations. Make sure that you have the correct papers, not only for France, but for all the countries you will pass through to reach France. Be aware that these may differ from country to country depending on where you are coming from. Here is the general information you will need when you decide to move with your dog. An information leaflet issued by MAPAAR is available for downlaod from
this link


Dog immigration rules for France

Dogs moving within Europe can take advantage of the system of European Pet Passports, which is designed for domestic animals. The Pet Passport is a booklet that provides all of the essential information on your dog, including an identification number and proof of all relevant vaccinations. The passport remains valid for the whole life of your dog.

An EU Pet Passport can only be issued by a vet that is licensed and all vaccinations should be kept current by the vet who also needs to ensure that the dog is micro-chipped, has had the relevant rabies vaccine and has undergone a blood test to ensure that the vaccine is present in the dog’s system. If your animal was vaccinated before it was fitted with a microchip, it will have to be vaccinated again after the microchip is inserted. Additionally, if your dog's microchip is not ISO 11784/11785 compliant, you will have to bring your own microchip scanner. The EU Pet Passport serves as the certificate of health.

Please note, dogs entering France from a country with a high incidence of rabies must have a Blood Titer Test one month after vaccination and three months prior to departure.

Your dog has to be at least 3 months old to travel in France otherwise you must apply for authorization to import it at the French Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries, Food and Rural Affairs (Animal Welfare Office) (See address below).

Please contact:

Bureau de la protection animale
251 rue Vaugirard
75732 Paris Cedex 15

Tel: 00 33 1 49 55 84 70
Fax: 00 33 1 49 55 81 97


You will need to obtain certificates issued by a Local Veterinary Inspector (a private veterinary surgeon who is allowed to issue certificates for the import/export of pets) to travel with your animal:

I. A certificate of Good Health (in both languages) to testify that your dog has no signs of disease, above all any signs of a contagious disease of the species. This certificate should be issued between 1 and 5 days before the entry of the animal into France.

II. A certificate from a Local Veterinary Inspector showing that the pet has stayed at least 6 months before the departure to France or has been in the U.K. since its birth.

If you need to find a registered veterinary surgeon, please consult the following website:

If you are only staying Mobile Home Park your dog has to be vaccinated against rabies.

Normal vaccinations and treatment for ticks, worms and other parasites are not compulsory for entry into France but are highly recommended as your dog will not have had chance to build up any immunity to new parasites and diseases that it would not normally have come into contact with in the UK. Diseases such as tick born Babesiosis, heartworm and Leishmaniasis (spread by sand flies) are relatively common in some parts of France so it is best to seek advice from your veterinary surgeon before travelling.


Unvaccinated dogs that are less than three months old may enter an EU country, but there are additional regulations that must be met. Certain aggressive breeds of dogs are prohibited from entry – see here.

Regarding the journey, please contact the appropriate transport companies to check if you are allowed to travel with your pet.

For any other cases, travellers must obtain a special dispensation, at the following address:

Ministère de l'Agriculture et de la Pêche
Direction générale de l'alimentation (DGAL).
Sous direction de la santé et de la protection animale
Bureau de la protection animale.
251, rue de Vaugirard
75732 Paris Cedex 15

Tel: 00 33-1-49-55-84-70
Fax: 00 33-1-49-55-81-97

Print Print | Sitemap
© Breizh Poellrezh SF 1994 - 2018